Sunday, 13 July 2014

Lego Creator set 10243 Parisian Restaurant mini review.

   It took a while with the limited time I have to build, but I've finally finished the Parisian Restaurant!
   From the Creator line of modular buildings the set consists of 2469 pieces with 5 minifigures for 132.99 GBP / 149.99 Euros / 159.99 US$. 
   The figures comprise a chef, a waiter, a girl on a scooter and a couple about to get engaged. (Aww bless!)

Front view of the restaurant.
Starting at the bottom, the restaurant takes up the whole floor with dining tables inside and outside and a well stocked kitchen. The outside tables are enclosed by a chain-link fence over well-tended plants and some nice potted flowers. Above the tables is a trellis with more greenery growing and hung with lights for romantic evening meals. The main entrance has a canopy and a welcoming 'Chez Albert Restaurant' sign with a menu on a stand next to the door. The architecture outside on the ground floor is actually quite complicated with many little artistic designs and touches which add to the overall atmosphere that old city buildings seem to have. 

Front entrance.

At the rear of the restaurant, a grey rat can be seen sniffing
around the dumpster!
The kitchen is the best one I have ever seen for a Lego set. Crammed with food and cutlery, kitchen utensils and a turkey that is WAY too big to fit in the oven, cakes and a neat little was basin along with a refrigerator, a clock, cupboards and a back door that leads to the rubbish bin and dumpster. The dining room itself is very nicely designed, with a large well - stocked drinks cabinet by one wall and two tables with window seats and a table lamp each. The drapes are a nice touch, even if they are big chunky Lego pieces sideways-on instead of fabric! 

The well stocked, but cramped kitchen,
with oversized turkey!


The proposal ♥ (With lots of wine close by...)


Up the external steps to the next floor where there are two more open air dining tables and a door that opens into some basic accommodation that is always found in a big city - not a lot of space for a lot of money! Again it is really well designed, with many little features in a small space. A fireplace, a standing lamp, a comfy armchair in the living area and a fold-away bed (another first for Lego!) A small kitchen and dining area completes the living accommodation along with a door that leads to a teeny tiny balcony under the stairs leading to the next floor and overlooking the dumpster!!

The apartment with bed in the lowered position.
The little apartment kitchen and dining area.
The top floor is an artists' studio with an easel, a palette and a small storage area for finished works. There is also a fireplace with an oven door-type thing on it, I'm not sure if this is a kiln or a way to heat the room and not have it filled with smoke! 

Artists' studio, not a lot of window space for an
artistic mind!
There are many nice touches on this model, simple things like drain pipes down the back of the building, a rat sniffing around the dumpster and hanging baskets on the middle floor dining area. 
The shape of the building is perfect for the Parisian setting and all the little design details like the shape of the roof  and the chimney stack is probably the best I've seen in Lego!

A girl and her scooter. The scooter is a new piece for this
year but only this set has it in red!
Yes it is expensive, modular buildings always are, but you get a lot of pieces and one of the nicest structures I've seen for a Lego city outside of fan-built creations. There are no new, unique pieces for this set but there are several pieces that have are in new colors not seen elsewhere. Add to that the fact there are NO STICKERS and you have a great set, large and full of play potential, though not recommended for 15 year-olds or younger (!!) I highly recommend this set if you've got the money to spend, there's loads and loads of fun time to be had except when you have to tell a 9-year-old that it's NOT a toy, it's an expensive model that is not to be played with......

28 comments:

  1. I think this is the cutest Lego building I've ever seen. Actually I wasn't expecting Lego to do this type of construction but I absolutely love it. There is everything in there that you might need and the mouse peeking out of the bin is just fantastic!! So, so cute......this is changing my view on Lego and I do think it's not too expensive if you think what you get. Great job and thanks so much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simona! These Lego Creator sets are aimed at the 16+ age group, they are a bit too complicated for kids. Lego realized a few years ago that adults actually like building and collecting toys!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Hi Brian! I agree with you that this Lego set is amazing luxurious, but it's such a pity that your 9-year-old can't play with it, pfew, you are a strict Dad ;)! This set has indeed lots of new things and I think it is a fantastic French restaurant, though it was only because of that oversized turkey ;)!! Those apartments on top of the restaurant are quite luxuriously furnished, even for a Lego apartment. I think I could stay there for some time on a holiday........if I was a bit smaller :D lol!
    Thanks for sharing this set. I wish you a nice Sunday evening.
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona! I wouldn't say I'm strict...well, yes I would! ☺ There are a lot of small fiddly bits in these sets and I know from experience how many things can go missing from small hands!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Oh My Heavens, I have been trying to resist this set, but your build pictures make it irresistible - There are so many beautiful play areas to it, Its got a Gorgeous exterior, and then that kitchen and restaurant, and I had no idea it had that lovely bedroom and even an artist loft! That scooter is too Cute too - Awesome Build and Review!
    LuV, TiGGy - who now wants one…. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! I always have fun with the modular buildings, I'm just glad they don't bring out 10 or more a year, I don't think my wallet could take it! The scooter is a new piece for this year and I think it's really cute! So far it has only appeared in two sets, the other being a 'friends' light blue scooter.
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Hello Brian,
    Lego makes so many great collections, but the city ones they have created in the past few years are my favorite. I have seen this restaurant in the lego store and I just fell in love. Even the back of the structure is beautifully done. It is an incredible set! If I did not have the dollhouse I would own this set. Thank you for showing such great pictures of the interior.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! The standard of Lego design is getting higher all the time. They will never compete with miniatures but I've always thought they might just inspire someone to look into the miniature scene and, hopefully, take up the hobby. Unless they're like me with two ham - fists that refuse to do such small, delicate work without destroying everything!! (I've tried!)
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  5. My favorite set you've ever reviewed, Brian! I'm truly impressed with this one, and I know I'd have a blast playing with it too! So many cute details. The kitchen would be my favorite spot, or maybe the dumpster with the rat! ;-) xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thank you very much! I love the kitchen too, but a bit more space would be nice!!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  6. Hi Brian!
    Wonderful Restaurant! I can imagine that it really is in Paris!
    Love the door opening area, it is so luxurious and inside areas are perfect.
    The Artist Studio is also excellent!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kikka! I have to say this is one of my favorite sets for a long time! I believe the designers of the set spent many hours researching the style of old buildings in Paris to get the 'feel' of the building right. Nice work for some people!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  7. This is SO AWESOME!!! Love all the details that you included. I have always loved legos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  8. Superb! Now it is certain, this is my favorite set!
    Beautiful structure of the building, the furniture, the oven is fantastic!
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mely! The restaurant definitely seems to be the favorite of a lot of people, myself included!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  9. It looks typically french with its Mansard style building and its very Parisian restaurant! A very beautiful collector!
    Kind regards
    Agnès

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Agnes! Thank you for teaching me something! Now I know what the style is called! ☺
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Brian! I'm in love with this set. It is beautiful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eliana! I certainly had a lot of fun building it!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  11. Hi Brian, just seen you last post. I love this Lego set, I bought it soon after it launched, and think it is the best Modular Lego set they have created so far. I love all the details and little touches, as you mentioned. Waiting to see what they come up with next time!

    regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy! It makes you wonder what the sets would look like in a couple of decades time. The sets of the mid 90's are so far removed to what is produced now, how much further can they go? Who knows in the next 20 years Lego might be rivaling the miniatures market! (But I don't think it will!!)
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  12. LOL Brian even with no stickers, this build must have tuckered you out - we Gotta get you Building More to tempt us with! ~ LuV, TiGGy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! I know I've been really lazy the past month or more, my excuse was the kids' summer vacation, but that's over now so I've got to get off my backside and blogging again.....sometime!!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  13. LOL Brian - TrusT Me, We are WaaaY Behind too! I still have ToNs of pictures from Last Summer I never got around to posting yet so I Totally understand - just wanted you to know we do so Love your posts!
    LuV, TiGGy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tiggy! I'm slowly getting into blogging mode again, and hope to start posting again very soon!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  14. Nice. The details are great. I love how he is making the turkey. Perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chef probably spent a very long time working on the turkey, it's huge!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete