Monday, 16 June 2014

60046 Helicopter Surveillance mini review.

Review time again, and this time I've got hold of (yet another) police helicopter.
   60046 'Helicopter Surveillance'  consists of 528 pieces which includes 5 minifigures, a pick-up truck, a hideout and a big helicopter for 49.99 GBP / 74.99 US$ / 59.99 Euros. It's not a bad price for a medium / large set though there are no unique pieces on offer.
   There are 3 police minifigures and two bad guys. The police have a couple of useful tools for their fight against crime including a camera and a speed radar, while the robbers have a crowbar and a sack to carry their stolen goodies.
Cops: Speed radar, camera and pilot. 
Bad guys: Henchman and mastermind.
   The robbers' hideout is very small but nicely made, with a lot of use being made of the 'brick effect' bricks. It is a suitably run-down building with a large sliding door so the pick-up truck can be reversed in to be unloaded. Obviously crime does not pay in Legoland. In every set that includes a robbers' hideout, it is always a run down, boarded up building. No luxury condos for these guys with their ill-gotten gains!
The little hideaway with big sliding door.
   The pick-up truck is small and simple with just enough room on the back to put a crate full of stolen stuff. There's not a lot I can say about it, except it's nice to see it has car doors!

The bad guy's pick-up truck, with their stolen goodies!
   Obviously the main item in the set is the large helicopter. It is a bit of a monster and has the largest internal space of any helicopter, police or otherwise, that has been available in the last few years.  It's a chunky looking thing with a radar sticking out of it's nose, large air intakes on either side and a good sized sliding door near the back. Inside the door there is a rope for abseiling police officers to drop in on the bad guys. There is also has a ramp underneath the tail boom that can raise and lower when needed, giving two access points to the cavernous interior. The cockpit is nicely arranged and looks more helicopter-like than many from the past few years.  I only have two complaints about it, the first is my favorite moan - stickers. Lots of them. 15 on the helicopter, including one on each rotor blade tip. My second complaint is that it's really a bit too bulky, I have trouble holding it, so a kid's small hands wouldn't be able to play with it very easily. Aside from that it's a good set with lots of play options and I would just about give it a thumbs up on price too.
The big, chunky helicopter.
Sliding door access to the large interior space.
Cockpit arrangement.
Justice - Lego style!



10 comments:

  1. Hello Brian,
    What a great set. the helicopter is really well made and I love the hideout. The thought that goes into sets now is just terrific. Hum...do you have a favorite lego set?
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! I don't have a single favorite set but I do love the modular buildings like the Town Hall and Pet Shop. I've also built a Parisian Cafe which I will be reviewing soon.
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Fun! Your description makes me want to play with it right now, Brian! I can imagine little boys playing with the set creating all sorts of fun sound effects. :-) Thanks for the great review and your always thoughtful and supportive comments on my blog. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for your kind words. I love reading your blog, it's always bright and always mega-cute!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Hi Brian! "Obviously crime does not pay in Legoland", you say? On the last picture the bad guy had still some money in his pockets, but I see that the Police men have their own method to discover it, a great find somewise ;)! The helicopter may be bulky, but it looks to me as a wonderful piece of Lego to play with and nowadays all is so much needed to catch all the bad guys........... :D! Thanks for showing this set!
    Have a nice week!
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona! To be honest Legoland must be a bad place to live, they have a HUGE police force! Or maybe it's the safest place to live for the same reason...I haven't made my mind up yet!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. I have to show this post to my son. The last month he Got some small lego politie pieces. So he Is now in to that with his playing. He has 2 cares 1 helikopter a few bikes and bad guys and Police men.
    This Packages is really looking so awesome
    I Love the hideout
    Thank you do much for showing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette! I hope your so is enjoying his Lego! There's a lot of police sets around at the moment, and I'll be reviewing a couple more in the next few weeks.
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  5. Wow, l'elicottero è fantastico!! Grandissimo set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mely! I like it too! Thanks for visiting!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete