Sunday, 16 February 2014

An early / mid 1970's Lego scene.


1970 - 1977 represented here by 8 sets.
The windmill and house were 'Weetabix' promotional sets, only available in the UK in 1976. The first style minifigures were introduced in 1975. They had no faces and no movable arms or legs. They were the precursor to the modern minifigure, which, so I'm told, will outnumber humans on Earth by 2019! 
The horse and cart taking the milled goods away for sale.
Why Lego made the horse red instead of black or white is a bit of a mystery, maybe it was the nearest color to brown they had at the time! The minifigures 'sat' by splitting their bodies in half! 
The lady of the house is ready to greet her friend arriving in the yellow car.
 The first minifigures couldn't fit in cars or trucks, they could barely fit in the buildings! Scale was something that happened to other models....
The port / airport area. The police are keeping a close eye on the latest arrivals!
The Police boat set 314 from 1976. The clear pieces have turned a yellow / orange color, a sure sign they have been left in the sun for too long!
Set 691 'Rescue helicopter' is from 1974.  It was re-released as set 480 in 1975 specifically for the North American market.
The small plane, set 609 is from 1972. Purpose made propellers weren't invented until 1974!
Set 644 'Tanker' from 1971, one of my earliest 1970's sets. 
Old white pieces are sometimes discolored from being left in the sun and the contrast with fresh pieces is quite stark!

The Level Crossing set 146 from 1976. 
Sadly missing a few pieces, like the guy who operates the barriers and a chimney from the roof of the small building.  For some reason all the early Lego railway tracks were blue!

My last little set for the 1970's is set 604 'Excavator' from 1971. 
Reissued two years later for the North American market (and called a 'Payloader')

Having taken all the pictures I realized I left out a set!  698 'Boeing 727' from 1977. It does feature in another post of mine charting the evolution of airliner models, you can see that here! Next in line is 1978, and the introduction of the modern minifigure, it's also the year I really started collecting Lego!

18 comments:

  1. Oh WoW I Love your Vintage Lego's! The whole scene is really cool with the house and streets and so many vintage vehicles, but My Absolute FaVe is that Police Boat ~ ITs Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! The boat is showing it's age but still looks good! It was the very first police boat Lego made and has been followed by another 4 big boats, I might even do a Police Boat Evolution post sometime!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Hello Brian,
    That is awesome...talk about a time capsule. It is amazing how lego has progressed. It is great to have a Lego historian such as yourself. I love discovering older lego sets.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! Lego historian, now that's a job I could aspire to!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Wow, those: 2The windmill and house were 'Weetabix' promotional sets" are wonderful. I have a House-set with those kind of rooftiles! I think they are cool!
    Also "The Level Crossing set 146" reminds me of something we have had..but not anymore.
    Minihugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kikka! Most old promotional sets are hard to find for sale, these seem to be quite common but I still think they're special!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Hi Brian, Wow! You've been collecting Lego for a very long time! I can see that you're really knowledgeable about it. And now you've passed the love for the hobby on to your son--how lovely! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I started collecting Lego 36 years ago but spent many years out of the hobby. I only really got back into it in the past 5 years, now I'm trying to play catch-up with everything I missed and get back some of the hundreds of sets I sold off...I'm still kicking myself about that!!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  5. so great !
    it's really 'vintage', as when we see old adverts or pictures from that time
    you make us travelling through time =D
    Even if I must admit Lego only entered my life with hubby...I was more 'playmobil' =D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valma! If I had every set from those years it would have been a huge layout, which is one reason why I preferred Lego over Playmobil, it takes up much less space!
      I knew there was a reason I liked Super Hubby!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  6. I just travel into the past with this lego review, so many memories of games coming back to my mind ... thank you :-)
    You are a Master of Lego !
    ...In the same way , this is why I colectionne small figurines, it takes up less space than bottles of wine ...
    xxx
    denis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denis! It must be the nostalgia for old sets that make adults part with so much money to get them again. I know that's how it is with me!'
      You're right about the small figurines, less space and they don't end up down the toilet....usually!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  7. Hi!
    My son did sent this address to me...now I am sending it to you. Have fan!
    http://www.demilked.com/legographer-lego-photography-andrew-whyte/
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kikka! Thank you so much for the link! I hadn't seen or heard of him before and he's my own countryman!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  8. Bellissima questa scena, molto completa per essere degli anni 70!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mely! Sadly it is missing a lot of sets but in a small space it looks quite a busy scene!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete