Saturday, 8 February 2014

A pre-1970's Lego scene.

Below I present a small scene of my entire pre-1970's Lego collection....all 3 of them!! All obtained from eBay over the past couple of years, there's only another 46 to get!
The whole of my pre - 1970 Lego collection! (The road
plates are from 1978, so they don't count. They're there to
make the scene look a little more complete!)
The individual sets consist of :
   315 - European Taxi - made between 1963 and 1970 it became the longest produced sets in the history of Lego. Made in Great Britain, in the days before the UK became too expensive to produce stuff so Lego pulled out and concentrated production in Denmark.
315 - European Taxi. The simplicity of the design is apparent in the side view.

   316 - Farm Tractor - another 1963 veteran, missing only a round black brick for it's exhaust (which I'm sure I had when I bought it...I must have a search around...) It doesn't much resemble a tractor but with the limited pieces available to the designers it's not a bad attempt!
316 - Farm Tractor. The color scheme resembles child's
attempts at construction!
   332 - Tow Truck from 1967. Lego had a few years practice at model making and had brought out a few new pieces by the time the Tow Truck hit the stores. It had a steering system controlled by a brick on top of the cab, (sadly the original brick went missing when I lent it to the local primary school for their '1960's week'.) The seeds of the modern Lego sets were sown, and the mid 1970's saw a revolution in the models and popularity of the brand. More of that another time.
332 - Tow Truck. Steerable wheels and specialized pieces
gave the late 1960's Lego more play value than they had before.
My next little (but much bigger than this one!!) Lego diorama will show my collection of sets from 1970 to 1977, with the advent of the armless and legless first wave of minifigures and the ever-more complex pieces construction methods.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Brian! I remember the sons of my neighbours, they had these sets in that time too. I played a lot with them because of their Lego, we had no Lego for ourselves ;)!
    Have a nice Sunday/week!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona! I think a lot of adults like Lego because they remember it from their childhood. I suppose if I'd played with other construction toys as a child I would have a blog about them instead of this one!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Hello Brian,
    It is amazing to see how lego has developed over the years from toys to miniature models. Wow
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! The development started slowly but grew in momentum and I always wonder what can they come up with next!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Oh Wow, each of these is really remarkable, and what precious pieces of history - TiGGy is Dying to leap on that nifty tractor, ByGBy of course Love the Fire truck, those turning truck wheels are really amazing for the time - can't WaiT to see your 70-77 collection PiX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! The difference between the late 1960's and early 1970's is quite pronounced, the models got much more refined and more playable, as you shall see very soon. (I hope, that darned thing called 'life' is still cramping my style!!!)
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Nice post, Brian! My favorite is the European taxi. The Lego history is interesting. I look forward to seeing your next post too! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! The models get more interesting fun-wise as the years rolled on, there was just more to play with!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realise |Lego was that old. I thought it was a 80's invention...learn something new every day =0)
    Did you watch the Lego adverts on Saturday in between the Winter Olympics? Very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepper! Lego (as we know it) actually started in the late 1940's with what they termed 'Automatic Binding Bricks' but getting hold of those pieces from Lego history is almost impossible!
      I did get to see the the adverts! Luckily my wife was recording the programme and squealed when she saw them! It all ties in the the launch of The Lego Movie, which I can't wait to see, er I mean my son can't wait to see this weekend! ☺
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  6. Your collection never ceases to amaze me! Beautiful pieces, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also thought Lego was younger...
    those pieces are real treasures !
    incredible how they have developed
    can't wait to see the next part of your collection, it's my period =D (75)
    Have a good time this weekend at the cinema =)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valma! Thank you, we WILL have a good time at the cinema!
      '75 was a good year for Lego, the first type of minifigure debuted, no moving arms or legs and no faces but a significant step to today's figures!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete