Monday, 20 January 2014

How I keep myself amused!

I've been busy recently sorting through masses of spare Lego pieces to see if I can build up older City sets that I don't own. I actually started this little exercise several years ago but I've recently had added impetus to 'get on with it' due to something I'll explain shortly. 
   Firstly, an explanation of what I'm doing. There are more than 800 City, or at least related to City, sets from 1958 to the present day that I don't have. (Compared to the 180+ sets I do own.) I have got detailed inventories for each and every set so I know exactly what I would need to build them. From the masses of spare pieces I own, I have managed to allocate some to the sets that need them so I have hundreds of partially made sets, all bagged and sorted into their respective years. This all might sound a bit nerdy, or even have a touch of OCD about it (who knows??) But it's my way of having fun! Will I manage to complete every set before I die of old age? Probably not, but I'm going to darned well try!


Each box lid contains two rows of bags, each row is
one years worth of partly complete sets.
   I have managed to get more parts from eBay and Bricklink. Bricklink is kind of like the Lego version of 'Etsy' with stores selling literally tens of millions of Lego pieces. I've been toying with the idea of opening a Bricklink store for a long time, and I finally took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and am now the proud owner of 'Hairy Cavemans stuff' You can visit it here! It's a bit spartan at the moment and I haven't got a lot of stock yet. I check every piece in my spares box and if I can't use it to help make up a set I put it in my store so I don't end up keeping hundreds of bits I can't use. 
   Does all that make sense? (My wife doesn't think so, I think she's despairing of me!!)
   So that's what all my spare time consists of at the moment. At least it keeps me off the street!

20 comments:

  1. Oh dear... more little plastic pieces everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You love 'em! You would miss them if they were gone! xxx. ☺

      Delete
  2. Yes, at least it keeps you off the street, Brian! Do you remind your wife of that point? ;-) Seriously, I understand this need of yours, because I have a bit of it in me too. I don't like to accumulate too much stuff, so periodically I analyze my crafty stash and clear out what I don't need. It feels so good to have a sense of control over the stuff, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing what you've been up to--it's interesting, many people could relate to it, and it's nice to know you have a new shop. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I have needed to have a clear out for a long time, I wish I had done it sooner! It's nice to know I'm not alone in amassing stuff!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Hi Brian! WOOOOOW, that is a lot of Lego!!!! It is good you have a selfmade system to find all small pieces and parts you'll need for your project, otherwise you would get lost in the Lego bricks ;)! My kids had a lot of Lego, but you have sooo much more!
    Your wife are right: it keeps you off the street, but I can imagine that she is despairing of you............... ;D!!
    Have a great week with a lot of fun of your Lego bricks ;)!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! It took me a long time to get my system as I want it, but it's a labor of love!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
    2. Hi Brian, I think I didn't understood well what you meant with this blog post: you will sell the Lego sets that you don't no need longer...?
      I just read your update and see that it was me, who misunderstood you.........I think I have to go back to school for a good study of the English language ;)!
      I wish you luck and good sales, Brian :D!
      Ilona

      Delete
    3. Hi Ilona! Your English is perfectly fine! Don't worry, I confuse everybody all the time, I'm really good at that!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Hello Brian,
    Congratulations on your shop. I think it is a great idea to sell the pieces you do not need...why keep them when they are of no use to you and can help someone finish their project.
    I don't call your methods OCD...I call them a superior level of organization!

    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! I much prefer your description of my methods, now I know what to say to people when they give me that "seriously??" look!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  5. I think it's a brilliant idea. If it keeps you out of mischief..or less mischief than you would normally cause then everything is good ;0) Man, you are so organised. Good luck with the shop =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pepper! Thanks for the compliment, I may be organised with Lego but the rest of the contents of my house is a total mess! Luckily, after 13 years my wife is getting used to me and sorts things out, bless her!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  6. Hi Brian! I Think that is a great idea. Good luck with your new shop. And selling what you don't need you can finance new purchases ;)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva! Thank you! Yes, the selling will be funding the buying!!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  7. Hi Brian!
    I think your shop is Brilliant! Gongrats for the great idea!
    Hmmm I could use Your organization skills...my husband is always wondering if I ever get my miniature stuff really in order...
    =)
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kikka! Thank you! It took me a very long time to get organized, and I still confuse myself at times!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Mely! There is more than in the picture but it was too much trouble to get it all out!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  9. That is Awesome that you have everything catalogued like that, and also that you are making spare parts possible for people via Bricklink - I Love that place faaaar too much. My collection is relatively small so far, but its taking up so much room being in its boxes or made versions all over the place that I find your cataloging system quite brilliant. I have often wondered how on earth I would know how to mix together sets and then find things again. I have seen some Lego MOC people who have entire bins of each color, which is actually what I have been most tempted by, but I think your system waaay cool and I might try it - do you keep the boxes - flat or discard? I still can't decide, some are back in their boxes…. Lego collecting is very addictive so storage ideas are fascinating to me - Thank YoU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! I always keep the boxes, unflattened, it's something I've always done since I was a little kid. The problem is that they do take up a LOT of room, luckily I have quite a big attic so they're all stored out of the way! If I was more into MOCing I would definitely use the bin-per-color system, I think it's the simplest way of finding stuff quickly.In an ideal world I would have hundreds of trays with each tray for a specific part, sub-divided into separate colors and sorted by year with separate areas for stickered parts or alternative pieces. But hey, that's just me!! ☺

      Delete