Saturday, 21 December 2013

Lego Winter Village and Village Market mini review.

It's the festive time of the year again and I've finally finished doing everything that needed doing for the holidays and can relax for a short time and do a post! 
  I've done something a bit different this time and put all my Winter Village sets from the past four years together to make a wintery scene. 
   As you will probably realize I've mixed in bits of the review with pictures of my village set up, so try not to get too confused! 
Winter Village.

Included above are sets: 10199 - Winter Village Toy Shop,
                                   10216 - Winter Village Bakery,
                                   10222 - Winter Village Post office,
                                   10235 - Winter Village Market.

The little pond is frozen over , time to get their skates on! 
Someone's not having a good day!
After I took the pictures and started composing my post I realized I had missed out a set - 10229 - Winter Village Cottage.....D'oh!!! I'll save it for next Christmas and make another scene with  everything in it, including whatever new seasonal set Lego adds to the series.

Despite the cold, the market is in full swing with loads of 
tasty goodies on sale.
The latest set in the series is the Winter Village Market. These sets are now included in the Creator Expert line. The set consists of 1261 pieces for 79.99 GBP / 99.99 US$ and includes three market stalls, fairground games and a nice little carousel.

Being  a white cat in the snow has it's disadvantages, 
especially when youget stuck and it takes hours to 
get noticed!
The three stalls are all fairly straightforward builds but all are constructed differently to add variety to the set. One stall sells sweets / candy, another has cakes and bread and the third has hot food.

The band plays while the singers sing, hopefully they're 
all on the same song!
All the minifigures are unique in their different combinations of head, torso and legs, something that Lego has done throughout the year with most City sets. There is a brand new piece of headgear in this set,  a black beret or flat cap which will probably crop up many times in the future!

The ideal way to get around in the snowy conditions.
The main part of the set is, of course, the carousel. This is the second carousel Lego has made, the first was a huge beast that I sadly didn't manage to acquire when it was available, you can see it here.  Having missed the first one I was very happy to be able to get this one, even though it is much smaller and simpler.

Sales of fir trees are booming at this time of year!
The carousel is attached to a fairground game, where a ball has to be thrown into a bucket to win a prize. To make things a bit harder, the buckets are spun around on a wheel. The mechanism that spins the wheel is the same one that turns the carousel thanks to some linkages and gears. Who says Lego can't get technical!!

The mail van on the last round before Christmas!
The carousel has four vehicles to ride on, two horses and two sleigh type things. The horses rock backwards and forwards when it turns thanks to curved bricks below the deck of the ride, simple but ingenious!  The horses are nicely decorated  and have gold saddles for an almost typical fairground look.

The centerpiece of the village is the big tree. Somebody
is already eyeing up the gifts!

There are quite a lot of stickers with the set, mainly used for the carousel itself and most have silvery reflective backgrounds which you don't get too often, especially with the City theme. I think I'm right in saying this set has the most short-legged figures (children) than any other set Lego has ever made, and you can never have enough kids in Lego!

The carousel and the back of the games stall, you can see
the handle that turns both the game wheel and the
carousel on the roof at the back of the stall. 
I would highly recommend this set, it has hours of playability, lots to build, the carousel isn't the most straightforward thing to construct, especially with the Technic gears and connectors. It's not the cheapest of sets but you do get a lot for your money and if you collect the winter-themed stuff it's a must have!

If you stay on the horses long enough, you can get sea-sick!
Season's greetings to everyone, wherever you are, whatever religion you believe in. Have fun!

Lego: When Themes Collide!!




12 comments:

  1. Hi Brian! I see you have decorated with Lego for Christmas, how cool! At first I thought it was real aka "fake" snow, but after I look better I see it is white fabric :D! I love every detail of your market, but that old car is awesome. I haven't seen it before, but as you know, it is a long time ago I saw a piece/set of Lego ;)!
    I wish your family and you a very Merry Christmas and my best wishes for 2014!
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona! Well spotted, the fake snow is actually a fluffy white bath towel!
      Lego produce one big Winter village set per year which has been going for 5 years now. sadly I forgot to add a set to the scene. Oh well, there's always next year!
      Have a great Christmas and New Year and I look forward to reading more of your blog!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Hi Brian, Your winter scene is fantastic! I love your captions under each photo, and that last bit with Darth Vader is so fun!!! Thanks for another great review. I look forward to more villages and colliding sets in the future! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for your kind comments. Hope you had a great Christmas and have a fun filled new year! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, love that storm trooper in the middle, searching a gift for Lord Vader =D
    Amazing village Brian !
    Have a wonderful Christmas
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valma! I hope Christmas was great for you and the new year will be even greater! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Oh MaN, Now TiGGy wants Winter Village - You make it look Spectacular, I was very tempted by the merry go round, but that little ladder and the carolers with a Banjo no less - Ooooh and That Car! Awesome Xmas Scene - a Very Merry Christmas to You and Yours! ~ LuV, TiGGy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! Thank you! I planned to do it ages ago, and still managed to miss out a set! D'oh!!! Hope your Christmas was great and have a brilliant new year! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  5. Brian ... I spent hours with my 4 year old nephew to admire your fabulous blog, is all set to thrill and I thank him for this and for giving me the opportunity to let him choose a smart game for this Christmas . He wanted the police car, along with the truck is his favorite, but for his age, the car was much easier to assemble.
    A big hug and Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mely! Your kind comments mean a lot to me. I'm glad your nephew is enjoying his Lego! Hope you had a great Christmas and I hope the new year brings you good luck and good health. Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  6. Hello Brian,
    I just discovered your blog, it is beautiful and I especially love this post. . . It delights me and makes me want to be at Christmas! :)
    Have a nice day
    Agnès

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Agnes! Thank you very much for looking at my blog and for your kind words!
      Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete