Monday, 2 September 2013

Lego Coast Guard and Medieval violence!

I'm back! The holidays are over, everything is back to normal, a new school year starting for my son and back to work for me. On the plus side it's back to normal with my blogs, if I get the time! Today I have a quick review of Lego City Coast Guard sets 60011 and 60013 and on a totally non-Lego related note, a few snapshots that my wife took on one of our day's out recently.

Firstly the Lego. 

   60011 Surfer Rescue is the smallest of the current Coast Guard theme and consists of 32 pieces including two minifigures and a shark. There's not a whole lot I can say about such a small set, the Coast Guard jet ski is a small but meaty looking thing and is nicely designed. The surfer guy looks suitable cool and even though he's being attacked by a shark both him and his rescuer have big smiles on their faces! Great as a small gift but at 4.99 GBP / 6.99 US$ it is a bit expensive for what you get.

The entire Surfer Rescue set.

   The next set, 60013 Coast Guard Helicopter is a much bigger set with much more play value and even comes with a working winch! 230 pieces with 4 minifigures and another shark, this time a white one. There's a small catamaran in trouble and a menacing shark nearby, luckily the Coast Guard helicopter is on hand to rescue the sailor! (Again, obviously unaware of any actual danger, everybody is happily smiling!)

The crew.
   The helicopter itself is a well designed and sturdy thing though the tail boom is a bit thin for my liking (seemingly a common problem with Lego helicopters!) The winch is pulled down manually and at the press of a button it retracts itself back to the raised position. The same mechanism was used on 60010 Fire Helicopter, also released this year. Nice to build but way too many stickers for my taste. It's a fairly large size but most of the internal space is taken up with the winch parts which means when they've rescued the sailor they can't fit him inside the helicopter...that could be a problem!

The nifty little catamaran.

   Overall I would happily recommend this set, there's a lot of play value in it but there are I think there are too many similarities with the Fire helicopter for most people to buy both unless, like me, they're a bit of a completist!

The nicely designed helicopter, except for the lack of internal space!

In the words of Monty Python: And now for something completely different...

A family day out at Warwick Castle saw sword fighting, jousting, falconry and an enormous trebuchet flinging fireballs! The weather was acceptably bright and warm but the wasps were being a right pain in the...ahem...
Getting on with the job - medieval style!
A very big Sea Eagle
The trebuchet ready to fire. Sadly our camera couldn't keep
up with the fireball as it wooshed across the Warwickshire
countryside!

9 comments:

  1. Those Lego sets are full of fun stuff! I like all of the attachments on the rescue figures, plus the sharks and surfboard are fun as well! Your day at Warwick Castle looks fun too--nice photos! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! The castle is only an hour away by car for me and that's the first time I've ever been there! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Bentornato! Ho sempre amato il lego, e lo amo ancora adesso, trovo, soprattutto per i bambini, che sia il gioco più bello in assoluto perchè stimola la fantasia.
    Con mio nipote che ha quasi 4 anni, guardiamo spesso il blog e poi cerchiamo di costruire ( come possiamo...) gli oggetti della tua bellissima collezione, quindi sarò felicissima di leggere ancora più post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mely! Thank you very much for your kind comments, it means a lot to me. I'm glad you and your nephew get some enjoyment from it! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Gotta say I love the things that come with the set even more than the helicopter, that catamaran is really cool, but i wonder why they went with a white shark? Maybe an underwater view? - and Wow Great pics from the RennFesT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! It's always nice to get added extras to the main model, it adds so much to the interest, and of course, actually playing with it! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Good review, interresting !! it's like a lego version of "Jaw" :-)
    And the pictures of the Warwick Castle reminds me of that day we spent at Leeds Castle, with the same kind of shows ... but with no trebuchet!I had to do a post on my blog with pictures ... but not enough time ...one day maybe !
    A bientôt , bonne continuation (in French ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 'Jaws' crossed my mind too! I've never been to Leeds Castle, it's just another place on my 'To Visit' list!
      Je comprends, je peux parler un petit peu de Francais!
      Kind regards, Brian

      Delete
    2. Thank you! 'Jaws' crossed my mind too! I've never been to Leeds Castle, it's just another place on my 'To Visit' list!
      Je comprends, je peux parler un petit peu de Francais!
      Kind regards, Brian

      Delete