Tuesday, 13 August 2013

A few recent purchases...

I had a bit of a spending spree a week or so ago an got a couple of hard to get sets and, finally, some newer road plates.  The road plates have been available since 2005 and are on their fourth incarnation, getting wider with nearly every new style to accommodate the ever-widening vehicles. The first plates came out in 1978 with the new minifigures, they were light gray and had nine studs width each side of the road for scenery etc. The next generation debuted in 1986 and were also colored light gray but only had eight studs each side of the road. Eleven years later in 1997 they changed again. This time the light grey road had green sides, though the width stayed the same. 2005 saw the latest, and widest plates. Apart from the road markings they are now all-over dark grey with only 6 studs each side. If Lego run true to form there should be another change in the next few years!
  I wanted to get these plates now because I will need them to help me do what I'm planning in the next few weeks. More on that nearer the time.
  The other two items are small poly bag sets. The first, 40054 is a summer scene. This is in the same mini-theme Lego introduced earlier this year which should include all the seasons of the year. This is only available in Lego stores or online. The previous set in the theme was 40052 - Springtime Scene and the next is 40057 - Fall Scene which I believe is already available from Lego.
  My final item is a special set that was only available to Lego 'VIP' members during July - Creator set 40078 - Hot Dog Stand. I have no idea why Lego decided to make this is a rare set. There is nothing special or unique with the parts. But as a die-hard City fan I had to have it!
  As usual with me, I probably won't open the poly bags, for some weird reason I like to keep them sealed up and unplayed with.


I did get one other set - 60025 - Grand Prix Truck, with which I will do a mini review in a few days, if I ever manage to get the time!

6 comments:

  1. Hello HairyC,
    Looking back I wish I had purchased more of the street pieces. I could of had so much more fun. Again I love how realistic the pieces got as time went by. These are great.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! I was lucky enough to have a few road plates when they came out in 1978. It's amazing how much money people are willing to part with to buy these things! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  2. Spending spree--woohoo! Looks like you've chosen some fun items, Brian. I'll look forward to your next review too. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! It HAS to be done every so often, I just wish it was more often....! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete