Wednesday, 24 July 2013

7998 Heavy Hauler micro review

I (fairly) recently won set 7998 Heavy Hauler from 2007 on eBay. It was one of the sets that were available in the shops as I emerged from my 'dark age' and started collecting Lego City again. I wasn't able to buy it new so I'm happy to get it second hand. 

So large I can't fit it in the camera frame!
Advertised as 100% complete with box and instructions. I did, however, find a couple of small problems / imperfections. Firstly the trailer truck body has large stress marks along one edge making the green almost white and has deformed the plastic slightly. The second is some of the stickers have been applied on a distinct angle! The main problem is the minifigure isn't from this set. I have yet to find out where he belongs! These little annoyances aside it's still a good set.
  One of the largest trucks Lego has produced for their City range. 332 pieces for (according to Brickset) 34.99 GBP / 34.99 US$. I can't rightly remember what the trans-Atlantic exchange rate was in 2007 but that seems very highly priced for the UK, or very reasonably priced for the US!
  Apart from both trailers being able to raise and tip their contents onto the floor, and the rear trailer detaching from the front one, there's not a huge amount else that this model does. Their are two containers below and behind the cab that contain wheel chocks so the rear trailer doesn't run away when detached.
  It's actually quite nice to build, not entirely straightforward but not too difficult for my ham-fists to deal with!

The main function of the set.
  It's a nice, large addition to my City collection and I'm glad I finally own it, but in a way I'm happy enough to have not bought this new. In it's day it was too expensive for what you got, although obviously you would have all the right pieces and they wouldn't be damaged....
  

11 comments:

  1. So you're hairy and you have ham fists, eh Eric? ;-) You've given me a giggle--couldn't help myself. :-) Seriously, though, isn't that great when you can buy something later on at a better price? I LOVE it when that happens! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, you're getting to know me so well!! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh! I'm getting to know you so well, but my brain went goofy when I called you Eric instead of Brian. Sorry about that. It won't happen again. Geez! :-( xo Jennifer

      Delete
    3. LOL! Blame the weather! Actually I think I could get used to Eric....

      Delete
    4. You're too kind, Brian! I like that "blame the weather" idea, though. ;-) xo Jennifer

      Delete
  2. Hello Hairy C,
    Your blog is dangerous! it makes me want to go out and start buying legos again. I am glad you found this piece. It is great and I love the look of the mechanism to raise the containers.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! That's the first time my blog has been called dangerous! Thank you! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  3. Sei divertente Brian!
    Il camion è fantastico, immagino che nuovo costi tantissimo.
    Se vuoi riposizionare gli adesivi basta che tieni il pezzo su una pentola con acqua che bolle, il vapore staccherà l'adesivo senza problemi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mely! Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly give that a try! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Wow Great Build, and the comments above are a HooT too! Try Bricklink.com to nab any needed stickers or pieces, its a really great site to pick up sets cheaper and to nab needed parts too. I gotta say, even if you can see these imperfections, they really dont show on the pics - its a Nifty set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! I agree Bricklink is an excellent place to get absolutely anything Lego related, all I've got to do is get enough money on Paypal from selling stuff on ebay to buy stuff from Bricklink! Works for me! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete